The original tank


An original tank from the First World War was donated in 1921 by the National War Savings Committee to the people of Cheshunt, and placed on a plinth in Cedars Park. This was one of 265 'presentation tanks' (235 females and 30 males) given to communities across Britain to acknowledge financial contributions to the war effort.

In May 1940, during a time of need, the tank was sold by Messrs Cox & Danks for 27 pounds, 16 shillings, 10 pence to support the Second World War effort.

Sadly, most presentation tanks were poorly maintained and eventually scrapped — the tank in Ashford, Kent is the only exception.


Cedars Park's tank was 2740, a female Mark IV that served in D Battalion, its first action being in the Third Battle of Ypres.

While supporting 18 Div of the Second Army in the Advance on St. Julien on 12 August 1917, the tank became ditched due to very soft ground following prolonged heavy rain. The Hertfordshire Regiment was one of many following the tanks in close support.

On 22 August, a German shell struck and shattered the track of 2740.

It was repaired, then transferred to the Army Service Corps in early September to be converted into a 'Top-Draw Sledge Hauler' — a supply vehicle designated for carrying food, water, fuel, and ammunition over the churned-up conditions of the Western Front — only retaining machine gun armament in a defensive role.

About a year later, production of its successor (the Mark V) began, and the remaining Mark IVs were gradually taken out of First Line Action and reserved as backup tanks.

Original female Mark IV tank on presentation plinth in Cedars Park
Tank on plinth, 1920s
Mabel Ettridge and her Father, 1920s