A visitor to Theobalds in 1613 wrote in his diary: You come to a small round hill built of earth, with a labyrinth around. It is called the Venusberg.
The term "Venusberg" is German, meaning 'Mount of Venus', which is mentioned in 16th century European folklore, and today associated with palmistry, being the name of the fatty area near the thumb - a significant elevation of this area suggests a romantic and sensual person. The spelling 'Venusburg' on the information boards in the park is believed to be erroneous.
When this replica was first built, it had real grass and a sandy gravel path, but in 2018 Broxbourne Council completely refurbished it with artificial turf.
As well as overlooking the parkland, many visitors enjoy sliding down the sides of the mound, although this is not its intended purpose and should be discouraged as it has caused significant damage.
Due to Cedars Park's aged arboretum, the mound has a limited view during late spring and summer, the only meaningfully visible area being the adjacent Great Garden.