Cedars Park Artwork by Susanne Nielebock
Local artist Susanne Nielebock produced these wonderful paintings
depicting scenes at Theobalds Palace and Cedars Park. To view more
of her work, please visit her website at
Nielebock is a volunteer at the Lowewood Museum, and her interest in
local history is reflected in many of her pieces. All are fine-liner
drawings with professional marker.
Click on an image to enlarge.
The Cedars in 1860. This appears to be the view from the
Flint Arch. The pool of water was
designed to reflect the arch in the view from the house.
Henry and Valerie Meux with their zebras at Temple Bar in 1890.
This structure stood at Theobalds Park from 1880 to 2001. The
poses are inspired by an old photograph of the couple.
The Cedars in 1910. The central part was destroyed by fire on 18/9/1913.
A very large Cedar of Lebanon once stood in the park. This drawing
shows the former layout of the paths in this area. Using this scene
for comparison, there is not much difference in today's layout.
An Atlas Cedar now stands in place of this tree.
This bench was added in 2019, and is inspired by nature with cutouts of
flowers & butterflies.
Lady Meux with two tigers. Neither she or Henry ever actually hunted or
kept tigers. However, Hedworth Meux shot two tigers and a leopard while
on a hunting expedition with George V (at the time Prince of Wales),
which were stuffed and exhibited in Cedars Park. Unfortunately, one of
the tigers was stolen, and the Lowewood Museum (of local history) now
holds the animals for preservation and display.
In 1915, some of Admiral Meux's officer friends visited him at Theobalds Park.
They travelled there by air balloon, and while landing, the grapple hook
ripped down half of a chimney. The chimney still contains visible grooves
from this incident. This painting shows what Nielebock thinks it may have
Roses at Temple Bar. Lady Meux had this structure dismantled, transported
from London, and reconstructed in Theobalds Park. It has now been returned