Theobalds Square was a residential block constructed by George Prescott between 1765 and 1770 on what is now Cedars Park.
The project is believed to have utilised materials from buildings at Theobalds Palace that had been destroyed in the Civil War. As part of this project, a flint folly was built, possibly including repurposed materials. Every house had its own 'water garden'.
The Cedars was built in Yellow London Brick and was the main house on the grounds at the time of the park's donation to the people of Cheshunt. Sir Henry Meux once lived in this house.
The house looked over a T-shaped pond that was designed to reflect the Flint Arch. The central structure of this house was destroyed in a fire in the early hours of 18 September 1913 and only the Conservatory and Billiard Room remain.
After The Cedars Park was opened in 1921, the remaining buildings were used as a bird house and to display Admiral Meux's stuffed tigers. Today, they are used for the café, toilets and meeting room.
Old Palace House
Old Palace House was a gentlemen's villa completed in 1768. A Mr Frederick W Lane lived in the house, although it is unknown when. It stood derelict in Cedars Park for many years until it burnt down around 1970. The cause of the fire has never been verified.
Today, a single brick wall from the house stands in Cedars Park, protected by a metal fence. A well, which has been filled in, is also standing.
Grove House burnt down in February 1912. The name has been given to a block of flats in Churchgate, Cheshunt.
This building is named after Reverend J Oswald Jackson. In the 19th century, this building became Jackson School. It was demolished in the early 20th century.
This house had been demolished by 1883. It is omitted from some articles about Theobalds Square, so perhaps it was less significant than the other properties.