Covenant

When Admiral of the Fleet Sir Hedworth Meux owned the Theobalds Park estate, he donated a portion of the grounds called The Cedars to be opened as a public park for the people of Cheshunt, under the custodianship and management of the Cheshunt Urban District Council (now formed into Broxbourne Council).

This covenant was written in 1919 to formally make the donation and outline how the Admiral wished for the park to be managed and used. The donation was made to celebrate the happy conclusion of the European War (First World War).

Admiral Meux and the Earl of Cavan opened Cedars Park on 2 July 1921. Since the Admiral's death in 1929, the parkland has been expanded — the original area can be seen on the first page of the covenant.

Scans of the original papers from
HM Land Registry.

A typed modern copy.

Admiral of the Fleet Sir Hedworth Meux in uniform

Admiral of the Fleet Sir Hedworth Meux